Wallpaper and paint both add color to your walls & life.
Changing wall coverings is a quick and easy way to update a room. Whether you choose paint, wallpaper or a combination of the two there are a number of things you should consider.
Paint has been improved over the years like from using lime paste to till date’s Anti-bacterial paint, washable paint, velvet painting, luster paint, etc., and still improving.
Wallpaper also improved a lot, nowadays velvet, washable, woven, fabric, embossed and customized (personalized) wallpapers are available.
Wallpaper and paint both have their pros and cons, which depends on your wall’s condition and budget.
The easiest and quickest way to decorate your walls by using wallpaper.
There are a lot of varieties of finishes available for wallpaper like normal paper, vinyl finish, velvet finish, woven, non-woven, fabric, embossed, etc.
All these varieties have different touch & feel on the surface, which you can select as per your needs because not all come with a washable surface.
You can design your personalized wallpaper also to go with your house theme.
Before installation, your wall should be in good condition, where shouldn’t be seepage or excessive moisture problem.
An even surface is required and the wall surface should be painted with oil primer, not the water primer.
- It lasts for 10-15 years easily, for which your wall should be in dry/good condition without and leakage or seepage issues.
- When you decide to install a wallpaper, it will be costly for you compared to paint initially, but if you consider for a long term solution then it is cheaper compared to paint.
- If your wall condition is not good then wallpaper will peel off from the wall after a certain period and it will not look good at all.
- If your wallpaper is not washable then you have to take care of it from stains.
- Scratches can’t be removed from the wallpaper and you cannot be touch up like paint. You have to change the entire wallpaper roll.
For home, you will not be interested to paste wallpapers in the entire house, you will choose on a particular wall only. We too do not suggest going for an entire house.
The cheapest solution for the walls is to add colors.
In-wall painting, there are so many options like distemper, luster, velvet, plastic paint, zinc paint, metallic paint, anti-dust, anti-bacterial, etc.
Installation is a time taking process compared to wallpaper, the time duration also depends on your wall condition is and how much finishing is required to apply paint. The painting process starts from scrapping walls, smoothing walls, wall putty application, again smoothing the walls, 2 coat of primer and then 2 coats of paint.
- You can touch up the stains or scratches easily and you can also add more design over it with the help of stencils to highlight the walls with different paint, which is not possible with the wallpaper.
- Painting takes time for finishing with messy work and paints smells and fumes might not be good for kid’s health.
- Painting usually is done at the end, so your existing pieces of stuff like furniture, artifacts or flooring may get ruined because of paints if not taken care of.
- Painting needs a touch-up or re-painting after every three-four years if your wall condition is good, if your wall has leakage issues then you have to fix it first and then have to plan for a permanent solution like tiles, or else paint will get damaged within few weeks.
- Choosing between wallpaper and paint will often be influenced by your budget, the room you’re decorating and how often you’re prepared to re-decorate. A combination of paint and wallpaper can provide the best and most creative finish.
Let us know in the comment section below what kind of wall aesthetics you have at your home.