The False ceiling was generally used in commercial places earlier but now it has become a popular choice for many homeowners for their living rooms. This customized false ceiling, also called dropped or suspended ceilings help you decide what you want in your ceiling to be seen and what you want to hide?
You can find different types and materials for your false ceilings. So, they need to be chosen in such a way that it blends into the rest of your house interiors.
For example, Gypsum ceilings are mostly used in the living room as they are light in weight. However, for commercial spaces, metal ceilings are used. Gypsum ceilings can also be moulded easily; on the other hand, metal ceilings may not provide you with the warmth you need in your living room.
How a false ceiling can help you reduce electricity bills?
You must be worried about the bills that you would get with all the lights, heating and cooling devices. So here’s what a false ceiling affects your electricity bills.
When a false ceiling is installed, there is a gap between the actual ceiling and false ceiling and therefore, air gets trapped between the empty space. This creates the insulating effect which reduces heat in summer and cold in winter.
If you have an air conditioner, you can easily find out that the efficiency of AC increases as they have to cool/heat small space and most of their work is already done by the insulating effect.
Advantages and Disadvantages of false ceiling
False ceilings are amazing options that a lot of homeowners opt for in their houses. But, they have some disadvantages too which you might choose to take into account prior to investing. Here, we have rounded up the best pros and cons so you may make a great choice.
Advantages of False ceiling
- They provide a clean and beautiful look to our home interiors and also hide electrical wirings, cables, lighting fixtures, heating and cooling devices and so on.
- You don’t have to worry about the placement of the lights, cables and wall outlets.
- Each one of us wants ambient light in our living room. With false ceiling you can easily put cove and track lights wherever you want.
- With the overhead lighting installed, you can drop the idea of installing wall lights.
- Very helpful in case of fire as false ceiling has a lot of compartments that slows down the spreading of fire.
- They also reduce external noise and echoes in a room because of the air cavity it creates.
- In case your house has a high ceiling, lowering down the ceiling makes it look cozier.
Disadvantages of false ceiling
- False ceiling must be concealed well at the edges, if not, moisture can get in an act as a breeding point for several pests. So, regular pest treatment is required for this.
- If your ceiling height is less than 7.5 feet then installation of false ceiling will make your living room look smaller.
- False ceiling installation must be done by an experienced professional. In case the material used in not strong or the installation is not done properly then there is always a chance that false ceiling might not withstand the weight and fall.
Wrapping it Up
So, consider the above advantages and disadvantages of false ceiling and always get a professional help. Talk to our professional design experts at Würfel for beautiful and flexible home designs. Würfel is a premium brand that caters to every lifestyle. Making it’s mark in the kitchen industry, Würfel brings to India, the best of Europe and provides complete home interior solutions. Spread across 34 studios in the country, you can find your nearest Würfel at www.wurfel.in
What is the life of a false ceiling? False ceilings have a life span of 10-15 years. Once you install it, you don’t need to redo or change it every year. However, in case of external damage, you would have to redo it.
What should be the minimum height of a false ceiling? The false ceiling must have a minimum height of 7 or 7 and 1/2 feet.