A decade back, kitchens were just an area to prepare food hence it was not really the most visited place in your home. However, as time evolved, kitchens have become an important part of every person’s life.
More people have started using kitchens in their families. It’s just not the mothers or house wives anymore, Kitchens are now used to cook, work and hang out with your family. There are also many times we have guests who come home and offer to cook. So, it’s very important to have an organised and clean kitchen.
People even have televisions in kitchens these days to watch recipes or shows. Now kitchens are the most important part of our daily lives hence its hygiene is of utmost importance. Here are a few points which will help us in keeping our kitchen clean.
- Keep your counter top dry at all time: Whenever we use the kitchen there is a lot of water and oil amongst other things that spill over the counter top which is unavoidable. It is always good to dry the counter top immediately so it doesn’t flow into your cabinets, damaging them in the process. Rodents are generally attracted to moisture prone areas so in order to avoid the entering of rodents in your cabinets, it is always advisable to keep the counter top dry.
- Storage: In earlier days’ kitchens did not have a proper platform or cabinets for storage. All the utensils would be stored without doors and hence there would be enough ventilation for them to dry after wash. However, over the years, due to unhygienic conditions, we observe lot of pests or rodents in the house so we prefer to have closed cabinets in our kitchens for storage. This comes with a disadvantage of no ventilation so the utensils stored after washing are also the reason for moisture building up within the cabinets as they are not completely driedd before putting them in the cabinets. Please remember to wipe the utensils dry before storing them in your cabinets in order to avoid moisture and protect the cabinet.
- Garbage: Garbage is one of the main reasons for insects being attracted in the kitchen. Vegetable waste, fruit waste and meat waste attract lot of insects. Wet garbage bins need to be cleared on a daily basis to avoid insects and fruit flies in the kitchen. Keep a disposable garbage bag in your dustbin to throw the wet waste and dispose the same every evening.
- Coffee Powder: Coffee powder works as a great agent to clean steel utensils which are mostly used in Indian kitchens. Odour attracts pests like rats in the kitchen. Coffee powder is known to remove the odour from the utensils and hence protect from pests.
- Vinegar or salt – The best agents to avoid insects in a kitchen is vinegar or salt. Salt can be sprinkled around the kitchen in few corners to avoid ants and other insects or vinegar mixed with water can be placed in corners of the kitchen to avoid insects.
- Do not keep any food or vegetables open in the kitchen. It is advisable to wrap the vegetables in a clean foil and store them in the refrigerator. Left-over food can be wrapped in a silver foil or stored in air tight containers in the refrigerator.
- Please ensure your storage areas are checked regularly to remove old and unused groceries or food items. Hoarding without cleaning is one of the main reasons for attracting rodents. Make sure everything is stored in sealed and air tight containers.
In conclusion to this topic, the kitchen is the most important space in your home and it is used by multiple people in your family for cooking, dining or just to spend time. So, it is always advisable to keep the kitchen pest and insect free at all times. Let us know your ways to keep your kitchen pest free.